Elemental Pack should be a thing [idea]

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
Imagine if there was an asset pack dedicated on certain kinds of map themes. Kinds that requires really elemental styles. Like Fire, Water, Earth and Wind.

Stuff like whirlwinds, geysirs, earthquake or volcano. Wind would include greyish neutral scheme stuff, Earth greenish stuff, Water blueish and Fire redish (kinda obvious).

The only problem is, would take a lot of work with the particles, even though they are the main eye catcher here. (Obviously we need a map where a tornado crashes through and kills everybody.)

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
A theme pack like that is quite an interesting idea, all our previous ones have been ones where you could use all the content in a single map (ie Pacific Pack) but one where they all serve a similar purpose (with some working together obviously, like different volcano assets) could be pretty cool.

And on the topic of new theme sets, one I'd like to see personally is a landmark pack with cool stuff like lasers and rockets.

Luigi1000

L2: Junior Member
Dec 12, 2015
I am down for something like this. I would love to see a bit of diversity amongst some packs so we can possibly see some interesting ideas instead of the common technology/winter themed maps.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
The good part about of this idea is that it can be easily be accompanied by another asset packs (ie water assets accomppanied by japanese assets)

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
Let's carefully take a moment and ask ourselves the question that Valve too asked themselves when they wanted to make non-desert themes:
http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=1729
  • What are the costs in building this compared to the value it creates for the end user?
  • What are the obvious types of new gameplay that we can create with this theme?
  • Is this environment flexible enough that we can leverage it for our other gameplay types?
  • Is this environment flexible enough to be usable for ideas we may come up with in future updates?
  • Is this type of thing recognizable to a larger set of people?
  • Has it been used successfully anywhere else? Has it been used too often?
  • Does it create a unique experience that people will be drawn to?
  • Can we leverage existing art assets to help build the new environment?
As the goal of this themepack is to not be a seperate thing, but more of an extension of existing themes, most of these question seem nearly obsolete, but let's do it anyways.

radarhead

Basically? Kind of a Huge Mess
aa
Mar 6, 2013
I like this idea! We could use more assets to create new outdoor aspects or detail scenes in our maps.

And on the topic of new theme sets, one I'd like to see personally is a landmark pack with cool stuff like lasers and rockets.
We could call it an "expanded spytech" pack! Mappers definitely need more than just the standard rayguns, radar dishes, and computer banks.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
Expanded Spytech I think would be the best pack to make. Making more varied and unique Spytech environments would push more people to use it, since Spytech right now is really bland.
Plus having a secret base kinda feel, i could see lava being a part of this pack too, for @CriminalBunny

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
A theme pack like that is quite an interesting idea, all our previous ones have been ones where you could use all the content in a single map (ie Pacific Pack) but one where they all serve a similar purpose (with some working together obviously, like different volcano assets) could be pretty cool.

I noticed that you have a map called Tornadoom. Referring to the idea, imagine if the map had a tornado particle (from the wind section of the pack), thus the name.

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
I noticed that you have a map called Tornadoom. Referring to the idea, imagine if the map had a tornado particle (from the wind section of the pack), thus the name.

That'd be a fantastic sorta thing, one of the reasons I dropped the map was the particle hellspawn.

Luigi1000

L2: Junior Member
Dec 12, 2015
I really like the direction this is heading in and hope that this eventually comes about. We have quite a few ideas for a base which could be worked off of and if more added to it I am sure it could be a successful pack on its own.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
I really like the direction this is heading in and hope that this eventually comes about. We have quite a few ideas for a base which could be worked off of and if more added to it I am sure it could be a successful pack on its own.

I do hope so. Something unique in a pack is nice, but it's gonna require good effect makers for certain sections of the pack. Otherwise if this will be a thing. I'd be happy to do quality management (Who knows...).

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
Thought I'd share more concept about this.

Earth: Basically crumbled rock, broken version of props like doorframes and railings, basically Earthquake being the main thing. Though it would also include overgrown plants and objects.

Wind: Neutral greyish theme, has everything air related, like tornadoes and wind storm. Focused mainly on particles.

Water: Focused on blue obviously, has cool stuff like waterfalls, geysirs, boiling water and decor related to it.

Fire: Red/Orange/Yellow, fire stuff, obviously for Pyro. Contains ton of fire effects, ash props and volcanoes and lava.

Now scenarios were these can be used

Earth: Map completely inhabitated by plant life or a map after a serious earthquake

Wind: Tornado sweeping a farm house (koth gimmick?), hurricanes, typhoons and wind storms and thunders.

Water: Northern region with geysirs or a tsunami.

Fire: Wildfire. Don't play with fire.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
You can already use industrial stuff to a large extent. Agriculture, forestry, foundry, urban industry etc.