Dusk

CP Dusk rc

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Don't just add noise, though, make a huge radius sphere and click once or twice every now and then.

I tend to make a lot of bumps with a big sphere set to low distance, then make a few depressions with a smaller sphere around doorways and the end of stairs. Lastly I'll use a huge sphere and do one or two clicks with it set to smooth, to make it a bit more subtle. I tend to find that this makes nice bumpy flat ground (if you know what I mean).

As for the holey texture, I don't mean do away with it entirely, I just dislike it at head height, as the holes don't look convincing close up. By all means use it wherever you like, I just prefer it above above ceiling level. ;)

EDIT: that said you're right it is in Hightower, and even in 2fort (the holy grail of Valve detailing) at player height, so feel free to ignore me entirely. :)

Last edited:

osiem

L2: Junior Member
Jan 25, 2011
Okay, great. I give up. I've got a leak and I couldn't fix it for about 2 hours, so I guess I have to give up. I don't haje anything to submit.

I don't know what the hell has happened, yesterday everything seemed to be alright, today I have only put some hints in, detailed 2 rooms and added 3d skybox and suddenly I have some fuckin leak, pointfile goes from outside of the map, through 2d skybox brush to an areaportal, but there is no hole anywhere, no areaportal touching only one area. I've tried to compile without areaportals, but then there is no pointfile, but the leak is still there.

I'm fuckin angry, cause I have been sitting at home mapping as much as possible for last two weeks, and before that also mapping for 5 months and wanted to take part in contest so badly and now I don't have nothing.

osiem

Jan 25, 2011
I don't even have a version named cp_dusk, my last compile was under a different name. Plus it has two undetailed rooms, no hints and areaportals on 2nd stage, not completed 3d skybox, some clips missing, some strange lightning error and some other small mistakes. Here it is, if anyone cares: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19629692/cp_osiem_a7_hd.bsp

Languid

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 9, 2009
I'm sorry to hear that man, this was a very very cool map. I hope you sort something out and submit even an unfinished version!

osiem

Jan 25, 2011
I've asked Ravidge, it's too late now. I've fixed the leak and now map is compiling, gonna upload a new version in about an hour, but unfortunately outside of the contest. I'm just angry that it happened 2 hrs before deadline, I'd didn't even have time to fix this.
This was a areaportal touching one area, but pointfile didn't show it, I don't know why. The hole was only 8 unit wide, so it took me some time to find what's wrong.

osiem

Jan 25, 2011
Since it's almost 1am where I live and I don't need to hurry anymore, I'll just post a few screenshots and upload b1 tomorrow. I've found some not sewn displacement and I'm not perfectly happy with the 3d skybox, so I'm gonna have to fix those.

D, tried to make it look a bit like a final point for the contest, however I'll probably remove that raygun on top of it when I'll make 3rd stage:
dusk_b1_08.jpg

dusk_b1_09.jpg

dusk_b1_10.jpg

And new B, it's simpler now, but I think it looks better and fits the style of the map more:
dusk_b1_11.jpg

dusk_b1_12.jpg

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I tend to make a lot of bumps with a big sphere set to low distance, then make a few depressions with a smaller sphere around doorways and the end of stairs. Lastly I'll use a huge sphere and do one or two clicks with it set to smooth, to make it a bit more subtle. I tend to find that this makes nice bumpy flat ground (if you know what I mean).

http://www.interlopers.net/tutorials/32664

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
I really wish you had gotten in D: I really want to play this based on how it looks.

osiem

Jan 25, 2011
Thanks a lot guys, it's good to hear such nice words when you're sad and angry. :)
I'm sure I'm not gonna leave this map, I'm going to work on it until I'm really happy with how it plays, looks and runs. Also there's still 3rd stage to do and I've got a pretty cool idea for it.
I didn't want to take part in contest to win a game on steam or sth, I'm just sad that I'm gonna miss a chance to have a lot of fun playing sth I've created, get massive feedback and bring my map to a wider audience.
I'm gonna put it on the next EU gameday, so I think I'll still work on it a bit today and maybe tomorrow and then post a more polished b1.

osiem

Jan 25, 2011

Edit: DON'T DOWNLOAD THIS
YM's paint patches haven't been packed into the bsp, I'll compile a b1a later today!

Changelog:
- changed sky to night_01 (pipeline one)
- added some props near blu spawn exits in A area to provide blu more cover
- redid some detailing near B
- added new flank to B
- moved red upper spawn exit back from point
- removed one useless flank to B
- removed a little annoying cliff near B, slopes will do better there
- improved clipping on 1st stage (still not fully satisfied about it though)
- detailed whole 2nd stage
- added sexy deathpit between C and D
- remade routes from C to D a bit to make it harder for red to push blu back
- changed some cover near D
- improved 3d skybox

still to do before moving to 3rd stage:
- work on optimization more, fps is a bit low at times
- add soundscapes
- add menu text and photos
- improve clipping
- improve 3d skybox in some places
- redo detailing of a big building next to A and a building with red spawn for 1st round (I feel like they don't look good enough and don't fit map's style)

and since I'm quite satisfied with how the map looks, here's 150934 screenshots, sorry if the post is loading too long because of that:

dusk_b1_13.jpg

dusk_b1_14.jpg

dusk_b1_15.jpg

dusk_b1_16.jpg

dusk_b1_17.jpg

dusk_b1_18.jpg

dusk_b1_19.jpg

dusk_b1_20.jpg

dusk_b1_21.jpg

dusk_b1_22.jpg

dusk_b1_23.jpg

dusk_b1_24.jpg

dusk_b1_25.jpg

dusk_b1_26.jpg

Last edited:

osiem

Jan 25, 2011
Oh no. It's seems that the YM's paint patches haven't been packed properly into the bsp, so I'll have to recompile under b1a name. -,-

BoyLee - hope that means they're sexy. :>

NinjillaX

L3: Member
Apr 4, 2011
The shadows are like a fine woman drinking a fine wine in a fine car; very sexy! How'd you do make it look so nice?