1. Hey Guest, welcome to the new forums. Be sure to check out this thread to get all the information you need on the cool new stuff!

Voting is now open for the Dynamic Control Point Contest! Voting ends on the 23rd, so make sure you join us on the servers to play the entries, and cast your vote before then.

Click here to head to the voting thread!

Custom Metal Slabs Texture

Discussion in 'Textures' started by poopster101, Feb 23, 2008.

1. poopster101

poopster101 L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
  2. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Ya know, you shoudln't really have used the customdev folder.... you should have made a new one with a unique name, like: team fortress 2\tf\materials\poopster101

Edit: just checked it out, for future reference most TF2 textures are 1024x1024.
    -These plates seem too large with no scaling so I've reduced them to 0.12 rather than 0.25 and they look quite nice. (definatly in keeping with the TF2 style :D)
    -In future I'd make each plate unique, or at very least make a basic plate then copy it so it tiles then edit each one to make it unique.
    -I loaded it up in photoshop and applied the 'offset' filter, this is because the seams on the texture don't match up with the edge of the texture, so if you have a standardly sized wall with this texture on, the plates don't start at the floor and end at the ceiling, they should (and do with just a little shifting) I've modified them, but not enough for you to worry about ;) if you want my slightly modified one (I also ran it through crazybump to get a normalmap) then just say.
    -For your next texture, make a ceiling! a ceiling! there are barely any textures that are specifically ceilings.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  3. poopster101

Positive Ratings:
    yea probably
    and yea i should have made it 1024x1024 but for my first texture i felt like making it 512
    i would have made each one unique but yet again, my first texture

and yea next up will be a ceiling
    any ideas?

4. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Oh dear I got carried away, sorry. I went and leaned how to add in a specular mask, I used the one crazybump made and toned it down a bit. The result is a slightly reflective metal texture, you can kinda see the join between the right and left side, the right side being just the texture and normal map and the left being texture, normal and specular.

[​IMG]

If you wan't me to send you all the modifications I've made thats fine, just say. I'll be using this in cp_bloodstained :)

5. poopster101

Positive Ratings:
    sure i might as well have the modifications
    either pm me or email
    rwr1992@gmail.com

either way im pretty pleased on how this texture turned out. i originally made it for the cp_dockyard im working on b/c valve has no sheet metal textures like this with rivets and everything. im glad you will be putting it to good use.
    you're welcome :D

6. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    I'm always happy to see something new in this section. The little rivets are perfect, and really matches the TF2 art style.

7. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    wow. that is really neat. if tf2 is missig anything, its a diversity in its textures. try and get away from desert/industrial. try others that arent in the game so we can have even a bigger range of themes for maps :D

8. l3eeron

l3eeron L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wow, Nice job...

Ill be using :)

9. poopster101

Positive Ratings:
    thanks for all of the compliments guys
    yes, in the future i hope to make more diverse textures
    and yes i like the rivits too
    and Beeron