1. Hey Guest, welcome to the new forums. Be sure to check out this thread to get all the information you need on the cool new stuff!

Voting is now open for the Dynamic Control Point Contest! Voting ends on the 23rd, so make sure you join us on the servers to play the entries, and cast your vote before then.

Click here to head to the voting thread!

Cordova

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by pl, Sep 6, 2009.

1. pl

pl L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    KOTH Cordova
    A map by the joint efforts of Mr. Hanz and Phil.​

Gametype: King of the Hill
    Recommended # of Players: 16-24
    Size: Small/Medium
    Theme: "Snow Effect Never Seen Before in an FPS" as Dhabih Eng would describe :D

Hey guys,

After a couple of weeks planning, we bring you a new KOTH map by the name of Cordova, which is named after a village in Alaska. The idea of this map is to provide a variety of pathways to the capture point to allow for an open battle.

Please leave feedback/comments on anything that you feel should change :D

Enjoy,
    Phil and Mr. Hanz

2. Omnomnick

Omnomnick L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I like the look of the layout and the map has a Viaduct feel, which is good. I hope this turns out well, it would be a shame if it didn't :)

Keep working!

3. Owlruler

Owlruler L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I wasn't in time to play it in the mini-gameday this morning but I should be able to have a run around this afternoon

4. Waif

Waif L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I notice on your overhead plan the cap building is on an angle, yet in the version we tested it wasn't.
    I really think you should test it out with the diagonal version to help tone down the huge sniper sight line that at present runs straight through the middle of the cap.

Other then that it is fun:)

EDIT:

here, I'll use your own pic to sum my feelings up:p

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  5. Hanz

aa Hanz Ravin' Rabbid

Positive Ratings:
    I like the not angled cappoint more than making it a 45° angled cappoint. :p

Other feedback from the 2 testings we had?

I think we should lower the capture time a bit, but there weren't a lot of other problems I think. Or were there other problems for you? :O Post them! :D

Edit: I prefer trying to block the sniperline without changing the capbuilding, but I'll talk with Phil about this. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  6. Peterm

Peterm Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Nice map i love the overhead view does anyone know of a program for creating these overhead views??? :O

Also i love how it looks awesome without too much detail. Possibly use some ice under the cap (i use glass for ice).

How did you make it excactly like 1 side on the other side????

7. Owlruler

Owlruler L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I would say, Shift_drag and then Ctrl+M

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Martham112

Martham112 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I enjoyed what I played of this, but one thing bugged me slightly. It seems that the main path to the point takes you to the side of it, which you can't shoot through. Maybe open the windows and separate them to prevent snipefest?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Peterm

Peterm Banned

Positive Ratings:
    And whats that for???

10. HeaH

HeaH L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Felt nice today! I think it needs a little more health. Couldn't find that much around the map.

11. pl

Positive Ratings:
    I think we'll end up just extending one of the buildings until it partially/fully blocks the sightline.

12. Uriak

Uriak L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hi, I didn't test the map yet, but concerning this sniper line issue, does it cover the whole CP ? I guess some line that would only partially cover it would be okay, and let people do a bit dodging once on that spot.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. Fearlezz

Fearlezz L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Was chased by another scout today and I tried to hide under this ramp. Guess what, I fell down :p Seems like someone forgot to cover that small part.
    [​IMG]

Got stuck here
    [​IMG]

Pretty good map. Feels kinda flat sometimes tho.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  14. Wacky Snoopy is

Wacky Snoopy is L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I liked this map a lot, and unlike others complaining about the sniperline, too little health and so on and so on, I thought there was enough health and the sniperline didn't bother too much. BUT, the teams kinda weren't even at any point, so it's a bit hard to say. But overall, this map is great, can't wait to see it getting textured and released.

15. pl

Positive Ratings:
    Hey, thanks for the feedback, but with the majority of responses we've gotten, we will be making changes to the amount of healthpacks and fixing the sightline problems. I personally even felt that the healthpacks were a bit scarce on the playtest that I had yesterday.

16. Uriak

Positive Ratings:
    I'll try to do a map test session on our server. Which release would you want to have tested ?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Wegason

Wegason L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    That was me chasing you and I saw you disappear! :p

It is a bit flat, not much height involved but many KOTH maps seem to be like that (the custom ones anyway)

18. Hanz

aa Hanz Ravin' Rabbid

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks Uriak that you want to test it on our server. You can test a1 or maybe a2 if we got that done (but that won't be in the next days I think).

Not sure if we have to add more height differences, I'll discuss with Phil about what we will change when I got a chance to chat with him. :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  19. Lockhart

Lockhart L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I liked the indoor areas, but I don't have much to add. It was a pretty chaotic game with so little cover outdoors. Kinda crazy fun. :eek:hmy:

20. Uriak

Positive Ratings:
    Here, maptest done (beta 1)

Well, I'll quote my fellow playtesters :

"Buildings everywhere but they feel useles"
    "No vertical gameplay, the map is almost just the point and a passage under the point"
    "Most of the map and the indoors don't play any role"

Quite harsh, but I must agree : the fights felt quite obscure and random, almost all happened within a 5 meters radius of the point and the nearest buildings where shallowly used.
    My advice would be to go for a simpler design on the map extremities (since nothing is supposed to really happen there, add some solid structures for more vertical gameplay, maybe merge some buildings together and above all give them some usefull acces to the point.

Good luck, and don't lose confidence ^^

• Thanks Thanks x 1