[Conceptart] Engineer Electrogun

ethankarnopp

L1: Registered
Dec 11, 2009
So I've been working on some more Engineer-centric upgrades but don't want to flood the forums with all of my junk so I'm just going to start putting them here.

moonshine-1.jpg

moonshineriterations.jpg

The idea behind this concept was originally to be a replacement for a dispenser replacement, that would hover over you and buff the engie for a certain amount of time. But upon showing some friends I soon realized that it looks WAYYY more like a flying sentry and have kind of been going with that idea. It is called the 'moonshiner' because the idea of it is that it is a flask (of presumably moonshine) that transforms into the deadly flying sentry seen above. Any input as far as the ideation or design of this contraption would be greatly appreciated and I hope you guys enjoy. I'll keep ya'll posted with future design choices on this.

BTW if a mod could modify the title of this post to something more appropriate that would be greatly appreciated! I'm pretty new to the forums but if I could make a quick suggestion it would be REALLLY useful with all of the updated iterations of things to be able to have a 'last update on MM/DD/YY' or something (just an idea) :p.

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
loving it. man i gotta tell you, you got the style really nailed on this one. the gun is a bit vague, still but this item, especially its illustration is horribly awesome :D
i could model your concepts all night long *singssong*

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
Dont know, it looks a bit to modern for the 1960s.

Besides that, looking really cool :thumbup1:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Reminds me a bit of the turrets in BioShock...

Yeah I agree here, I'm not sure something that flies is really right for TF2, set in the 60s, using tech from more like the 40s.
The ammount of computing power required to have something like that keep level and track someone would be massive in those days, to see it so small is kinda odd.

It just leaves me with a remarkably :mellow: feeling, just like the previous weapon it just doesn't fit with anything else in the tf2 universe:(

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
wasn't there a hitchcock movie with such a little flying helicopter following around someone or something like that ?
anyways, such little helicopters were available in the 70's for everyone, so going for a jamesbond superhitech flick that always featured tech from the "near future" it may be quite appropriate.
when i compare that tech level to the sentry animations i don't think it's too high fetched.

but...taste differs :)

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
Hey cool shit man. I like the dispenser replacement idea better I think, because I like the idea of a flying R2D2ish dispenser following the Engineer around beeping and giving out health/ammo. Plus I think its better for gameplay purposes - the nest becomes a little easier to destroy but the Engineer now gets to play a different support role and maybe get in on the front lines a little more. There's all kinds of cool ways a flying dispenser could affect a battle over a traditional dispenser.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
so, ive been kinda working on that weapon concept of yours lately and i reaaaaaally really hope, Rexy is not upset that i tried the same model, but i didn't know whether he would be continuing with his version. so plz, don't be angry at me, for doing so :/

i thought, maybe we could submit this to the contribution page, if you don't have any problem with it, ethan ?

electrogun_overview.jpg

Spammish

L3: Member
Jan 2, 2010
That came out beautiful, kudos to you, are you sure you can do joint contributions? I wouldn't be surprised if they held onto it to use a model for the engie's real unlock, that's the quality that I think this is, valve quality (and not the lazy valve:p)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
That's pretty impressive stuff acumen :)

Despite my dislike for the weapon in general, you two certainly make quite a creative team!

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Right now the front doesn't really give any indication it's gonna fire a beam, maybe paint something in the texture, or model something there to better convey the idea behind it, right now it looks like it's meant to pick up radio signals or something, rather than fire electricity.

Westerhound

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 5, 2009
Right now the front doesn't really give any indication it's gonna fire a beam, maybe paint something in the texture, or model something there to better convey the idea behind it, right now it looks like it's meant to pick up radio signals or something, rather than fire electricity.

Isnt it just better so that the enemy doesnt know he is gonna die instead of being radio signalized? :p

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
oops, now you say that, i see that little blob in the front dish.
thanks for pointing that out, selentic !

the beams are not animated right now, i tell valve to do so, if we submit :D
its just a alphatexture mockup :)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
What you really want is to put a bone at either end of the glass bit and to get a particle effect going between the two ;)

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
well i really WANT that, but i have no clue how that stuff works, neither where to find some resources on it :/

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
If you get what i mean i feel like bam at the end of thug2 just looking at it.