Better Toolstextures

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
Are you annoyed that the block light texture is not transparent?
Do you hate how some of the tooltextures look?

'Cus I for sure am. So i modified 'em.

------------------- Tumbo's Toolsfix -------------------

The exact things that this does:
- Textures -
- Changing the textures of the most common tools textures
- They now have a (better) grid
- NEW! 'Flat' variant, which is just the plain color
- Materials -
- ToolsBlockLight is transparent
- ToolsHint has nocull enabled for better visibility of the cut
- ToolsBlack does not use any lightmap data

Here is a picture of the changed textures:

b01a415e33.jpg

The texture files are optional, so i made 2 VPKs:
VTFs (Textures): Dropbox
VMTs (Materials): Dropbox

----- Flat Textures -----

These textures do not have any text, lines, dots... It's just the color!

f2ee98b02c.jpg

Note that i added a little bit of noise, so you can actually still "see" it.

Download of this variant:
VTFs (Textures): Dropbox

----- NEW! Blocker Addon! -----

Brand new experimental technology! Custom BlockBullets materials and textures!

59b6ee834c.jpg

VTFs+VMTs (Textures+Materials): Dropbox
WARNING! THIS ACTUALLY REQUIRES TO BE PACKED INTO THE MAP! However, the texture files can be ignored during packing.

Last Update:
4. June 2015
Added the Blocker Addon.

Please post bugs and suggestions.

Last edited:

Lenny

L2: Junior Member
May 2, 2013
Now this is pretty damn cool.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
So you changed the font? I am confused on what you did.

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
So you changed the font? I am confused on what you did.

I changed the textures of the 10 most used ones to have a (better looking) grid.
The main thing is that the block light texture is now transparent in hammer and that nobody ever has to func_detail any block bullets brushes.

I could probably do more, but I don't know what.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
You sure being opaque wasn't what made blocklight work in the first place? 'Cause I tried that with nodraw once and it wrecked my shit.

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
You sure being opaque wasn't what made blocklight work in the first place? 'Cause I tried that with nodraw once and it wrecked my shit.

Translucent and func_detailed things no longer seal a map. I also tried making the nodraw texture translucent, which only gave ugly rendering problems in hammer.
The block light texture does work. My tests haven't shown any problems with lighting.

mint onion

L3: Member
Jul 18, 2013
i want to use these but i dont know how to unpack them.

i use the abs resource pack and you mentioned they aren't compatible with the browser... what does that mean? will they not show up in hammer's texture viewer?

also, how do i delete my materials/tools? i don't have a tools folder in my material folder.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
You don't need to unpack them. Just drop the files in the correct folders, the game will deal with the unpacking for you.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
But that's how it's always been.

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
i want to use these but i dont know how to unpack them.

i use the abs resource pack and you mentioned they aren't compatible with the browser... what does that mean? will they not show up in hammer's texture viewer?

also, how do i delete my materials/tools? i don't have a tools folder in my material folder.

They will show up as usual, but the .vmt files will not take effect. Also, with the materials/tools folder I mean the one inside the abs resource pack. Use GCF Scape to extract it and VPK.exe (same location as hammer) to pack it again. (Might take some tries to get it right, make backups)

great pack, but what on earth made you think the white NODRAW text would look good on yellow? IT BUUURNS.

I thought that since you know that yellow = nodraw i could just give the text a similar color. I can change it if other people think the same as you.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
I thought that since you know that yellow = nodraw i could just give the text a similar color. I can change it if other people think the same as you.
Its not the yellow texture, its the white text. Nodraw by default has black text.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
When I try to download the flat textures, I get a downloading error I think. It downloads fine, but when I try to copy or extract the vpk, it says I have an unspecified error.

3b8f174ef8.png

You also have some link formatting errors in your post.