Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
It looks like there's a new "instant destruction" strategy. Blow out a hole in the wall to the M-com, and then drive an ATV into it. Boom. Instant destruction of the 100% health M-com. The first B point in the pit can be taken out early on really easily.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Does anyone know how to use the Javelin as an engineer? It's supposedly meant to lock onto enemy vehicles but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
And engineer weapon? Which one's the Javelin? There's the starter RPG-7 and then there's the M2 Carl Gustav AT.

The one with built-in homing of some sort, the M136 AT4, doesn't seem to be available in the beta due to having a ridiculous amount of required experience before it unlocks.

Right now I think the Engineer rocket-launchers available will only home if someone already used the dart tagger on the vehicle in question. You can use the mounted anti-tank launchers to "steer" your rocket.

It's depressing that I don't think I've ever hit a moving Apache with the RPG-7 yet.

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
And engineer weapon? Which one's the Javelin? There's the starter RPG-7 and then there's the M2 Carl Gustav AT.

The one with built-in homing of some sort, the M136 AT4, doesn't seem to be available in the beta due to having a ridiculous amount of required experience before it unlocks.

Right now I think the Engineer rocket-launchers available will only home if someone already used the dart tagger on the vehicle in question. You can use the mounted anti-tank launchers to "steer" your rocket.

It's depressing that I don't think I've ever hit a moving Apache with the RPG-7 yet.

I hit one by shooting straight up once.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007

i have, i giggled like a little girl.

also hitting the gunner with my m24 made me lol down to my soul.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I prefer downing Apaches using the T-90 main gun. Or ramming them with the UAV. Hilarious.

It could just be that I am, as the colloquial expression goes, "butthurt", but air vehicles seem quite hard to destroy in most circumstances. The best you can hope is that your shot will hit them and cause this weird physics "shove" that causes their pilot to crash.

Aside: Is it worth getting a Gameport/USB adapter (running Windows XP) or just buy a new joystick? (I've got an old-school Logitech Wingman model 3001. No yaw, no hat, but very solid construction.)

Last edited:

Matt4019

L1: Registered
Feb 22, 2009
Pre-ordered it on steam. been playing the beta forever. can't wait for the actual thing =D
Add me on the game. I'm Buchanan. If that doesn't work I'm Buchanan16

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008

I was referring to the M2 and, yes, I wanted to know in order to take out the annoyance of GODDAMN APACHES.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
I was referring to the M2 and, yes, I wanted to know in order to take out the annoyance of GODDAMN APACHES.
use a stationary mg position to take em out.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
If you can find one which turns the right way and hasn't already been blown to smithereens :p

Matt4019

Feb 22, 2009
I wonder if we can all use a "TF2M" clan tag...

Why not? what would be stopping us? let us make a whole team with TF2M clan tags

Radaka

L420: High Member
May 24, 2009
My least favorite thing about this game--copter camping. I love piloting, and I personally think I'm really good at it (20 kills in 4 minutes, including gunner kills). What pisses me off so much is when some idiot takes the copter and proceeds to ram it into the nearest wall to where he is. In addition, I hate when I land my copter to repair it, then someone else hops in and flies off with 5/100 health, just to get massacred.

eyefork

L3: Member
Oct 27, 2008
Nothing worse than being on defense and seeing 5 of your teammates crouching on the helipad waiting for the apache to respawn

Matt4019

Feb 22, 2009
I myself try to avoid flying the copter but rather sit in the gunner seat and hope to god I get a good pilot. I've tried going on an empty server and learning to fly it myself.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
It flies like a regular helicopter, except that your mouse serves as the cyclic.

Matt4019

Feb 22, 2009
I would say I am able to fly it just not decent enough to get a few kills in. Not "battle" ready, I would say. When fly it I am not well at defending the chopper from gunners or tanks...
It would end up doing barrel rolls to the ground then exploding if i tried dodging any enemy firing.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I can't do the chopper, it seems. Even with the smoothest possible takeoff, if it gets hit by a rocket at lower heights the chopper does this weird tilt and then you can't correct in time before plowing through a building. Maybe having a joystick will magically make it better, but...

However, I did just unlock the tracer dart, and it is glorious. I still think any apache pilot who knows how to do attack runs without crashing doesn't face much opposition, though.