Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Holy hell. DICE's sound team deserve a thousand medals.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
More like 9001. I can't wait, this is the first game to get me excited since 2142.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I have to say, this will be the only game where I'm not going to be making my own sound effects while playing so that I can pay proper respect to the quality.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
One thing I really hope for is that it uses Steamworks. Punkbuster is horrible and I like Steam integration a lot.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Not to mention, if you get it through steam, you don't need to download a separate program that decides to run and use resources whenever it wants.

Delusibeta

L3: Member
Mar 21, 2009
I wouldn't hold my breath on it, considering some of the dumber portions of the anti-MW2 lot seems to have equated Steamworks to removal of dedicated servers. And the fact that EA have been unwilling to publish games on Steam. PunkBuster sucks, but VAC isn't great, either.

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I wouldn't hold my breath on it, considering some of the dumber portions of the anti-MW2 lot seems to have equated Steamworks to removal of dedicated servers. And the fact that EA have been unwilling to publish games on Steam. PunkBuster sucks, but VAC isn't great, either.

But EA do have games on Steam.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
But not the 2-year-old 2142. Let's wait moar tiem till BC2 :p

Radaka

L420: High Member
May 24, 2009
I got a beta key from another thread, played this game for about 2 hours. I am now thoroughly convinced NOT to buy it.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Well, I know it's a not-wholly-public beta, but it would be nice if the server browser worked and you could see latency without running as administrator.

If I join a low-ping server, then I can at least say what bits of WTF-ery are game-bound and which are just a bad choice of server.

Misc first-day thoughts:
  • I can't wait until I can get a sniper scope that actually lets me see the other guy who already has one and is using it to hit me.
  • Is there a health indicator besides screen state? Maybe I just haven't learned all the stages of redness.
  • Voice-com only with your ~4-person squad? Meh.
  • CQB gets nutty (might be ping) and I've gotten bizarro kill messages a view times, like being "roadkill" while I was inside a house, etc.

Last edited:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Another thing... Apparently some vehicles do have a secondary fire, but you can't use it until you unlock it.

And here I thought the demo was broken or my binds were wrong because for some weird reason whole sections of vehicle controls simply don't exist when you start playing...

tarmo-

L3: Member
Dec 10, 2008
bought it, occasionally playing beta aswell =)