CTF Aurora

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
Put more dramatic lighting on the intel stands where they originally spawn, I had a hard time seeing what color they were (yeah, yeah, i know what kind, but it would be nice to have it brighter)

Also, the sentries at the bottom are pretty lame. Why not have this - a trapdoor that after, say, 5 seconds (enough time to register the cap and take a nice glance of the base), drops down to a pit of DEATH. It is humorous too!

Ninjilla

Sep 13, 2008
I think the sentries are fine, if anything I would say glorify them more, maybe have an intruder alert kinda thing. The cap signs confused everyone on the server for aawhile, and we resorted to killing ourselves on the cap for the most part for awhile, but we eventually played for real. I dont know how you could fix the confusion, but I think if you can find a way to make signs active only when the cap is held, it would be best.

Cerious

Aug 10, 2008
... why?

I mean, you're still continuing development on the map, right? Why not include the map in the contest?

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Apparently there was some confusion when I presented my map to the moderator team as to the nature of the map, so I have withdrawn to promote a fair contest. I hope you all continue to follow the progress of the map (arguably it will be my last ;_; ) even thought it is no longer in the contest

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
It was a lot of fun on the gameday. I really like the center area, and the layout is at just the right amount of complexity. It's a shame it's not in the contest anymore. I would like to ellaborate on the issues I had in-game, though.

The no-flag textures would be fine if (as others mentioned) you can't see the enemy one. It totally threw me off to see the red no-entry sign on the doors I was supposed to run through. I'll bet there's a way to fix that with some fancy logic entities and the team filters.

As for engies building on defence, I'm not opposed to you limiting the effectiveness of sentries, but it's really frustrating to try and build and be stopped for no apparent reason. It felt arbitrary where you could or could not build, and my first reaction was, "oh, there must be a bug." It would be nice if you could play engie normally, but then have the layout designed in such a way that made it ineffective.

Also, a couple times the other team rushed scouts into our base and captured before we knew what was even going on. To be fair, we weren't the best defenders, but some kind of warning when the enemy is infiltrating the base would be nice.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2008
Hey I only ran around in this map yet, so I haven't played it. It looks wonderful, that's all I can say, except for this thing: the Aurora should be waaaaay higher, above the clouds!
Aurora_Borealis.jpg

That's just what I think about it though. Otherwise,great looking map!

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
If it'll help realism at all, I'm uploading a de-alpined version of the Sawmill sky (no mountains and treelines) later today.

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
From A1 to RC

HOLY CRAP THAT WAS ONE HELL OF A JUMP.

toutfou

L3: Member
Sep 8, 2008
Hey Mangy, really nice map - now just to find a server in Europe that's hosting it! ;)

One problem I noticed from a quick run around is that these ramps could do with some clipping, or lowering the model. If you try to run down them, you get stuck for a short while when transitioning from the concrete to the ramp:

setpos 2348.062988 426.544556 275.972595;setang 29.831997 6.444141 0.000000