CTF Aurora

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.
Feb 14, 2008
One possible solution is to use a very distinctive door frame in the team's color, so it's obvious where those boundaries are without looking like a "no entry" sign.

It's not that obvious that way, unless you knew before, or learnt from experience, that the intel can't go in that direction. I'd keep the signs, but remove them for the other team, to avoid confusion when invading a base. Maybe only enable them when a flag is "in play" as it were.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I could just be overestimating human intelligence, but I think people would learn quickly enough, so long as the frames were so distinctive that as soon as they asked "why did the intel drop just now?" the answer is supplied by the unusual doorway that they just walked through.

The plus side is those doorways then become obvious "cap zone this way" indicators when in the enemy base.

eyefork

L3: Member
Oct 27, 2008
It's possible to sap the sentries at the bottom of the pit if you are crouching.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
I'll address the buildability on the point and in the tunnel, but if you put shit at the bottom, it's pretty useless for your team except for grieving, so... same with sapping, but I'll figure out some way to address that...

Anyway, the (/) signs for the intel are 100% needed, you cannot confuse players more than making them randomly drop the intel. There is no way to make them display to only the intel carrier, and not even a specific team. You're gonna have to deal with them unless someone thinks of something more clever.

I will not be adding more defensive capabilities to the map. The best defense is what? A good offense. Go cut them off in your lobby or even in the center field and you'll fare far better than turtling up. There's a reason there's 200 metal in the hut in the center.

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
fun fact:

Did you know the sentries at the bottom of the cap point are sappable?

the sap won't kill them, but they won't fire on anyone on the point, and people will get stuck down there.

Altaco

L420: High Member
Jul 3, 2008
Instead of sentries, you could make flag carriers get zapped by an electric machine. Have them explode and spawn a puff of smoke.:woot:

As I posted on 2f2f, I agree. Needs some other kind of death other than sentries which feels a bit gimmicky. It can still be fun and silly :).

Last edited:

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
I hate the word gimmick. Anything could be called gimmicky. Someone could say control points are gimmicks if they wanted.

You can do whatever you want. I'm just speaking for everyone who likes seeing scouts explode.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
I don't know, still seems a bit unethical, but i won't press it.

Feel free to press it, as I'm full disclosure: Icefield's basic layout and theming were worked on for a period of about 3 weeks and then utterly abandoned as I was not happy with the boring gameplay and uninspired. Then the contest hit, I realized I could adapt the map into something workable that I'd be proud enough to finish, and so I got permission and did the real work on the map- probably 70% of the total product you now see.

I feel by submitting my map early any of that 30% lead will be negated, and as I only have 1-2 hours to map daily due to my full time job, it's all I can muster to finish it.

I also feel that if I were to start from scratch, and work through to the actual deadline, it'd produce a product of at least the same quality.

So then I wonder what's left to be unethical about a map that's had incredible care on my part invested in it, sacrificing the last couple weeks and my weekends to bring it up to releasable stage; I consider it my magnum opus in terms of optimization and detailing, but I'd've produced the same quality had it been a 'fresh' map...

If any of this disatisfies you to the point where you believe you cannot compete with me on equal footing, please inform the moderators who will disqualify me.

I don't have a lot of time to myself nowadays, and mapping, my biggest hobby, seems to have less and less time devoted to it... I had to forcibly resign from the moderation team due to lack of time to participate, and I can't attend most of our gamedays, let alone host them... I used to be incredibly active in the community and it pains me not to be able to devote more time to helping out... Sue me for wanting to run alongside my friends and peers (and I do believe I've met quite a few great guys who will also be in this competition (Nine, Icarus, eerie, randdalf, everyone!) I don't care if I'm disqualified, though I'd like the opportunity to be judged...

In the end I just want to contribute to the weight of this contest, to be able to give and receive feedback with a goal in mind, to be able to share knowledge and tips (who wants my Intel blockage method??) and generally to help make this competition fun and involved. Forgive me my rule bending :crying:

ghouly

L1: Registered
May 12, 2009
If he wins, he wins. I don't really see the problem with it. This just means everyone else has to work extra hard on their maps. :3

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I don't have a lot of time to myself nowadays, and mapping, my biggest hobby, seems to have less and less time devoted to it... I had to forcibly resign from the moderation team due to lack of time to participate, and I can't attend most of our gamedays, let alone host them... I used to be incredibly active in the community and it pains me not to be able to devote more time to helping out... Sue me for wanting to run alongside my friends and peers (and I do believe I've met quite a few great guys who will also be in this competition (Nine, Icarus, eerie, randdalf, everyone!) I don't care if I'm disqualified, though I'd like the opportunity to be judged...

It's pretty obvious That Mangy is not out to get us on this, especially with his early submition. I was just informed that converting my Avante map from CP to CTF would probably make it a valid entry for the competition. Where obviously i've had 8 months to work on it I'm a bit iffy about whether to submit it or not despite it being on and off, more like 4, as i've honestly left it for dead since the pl competition. But i can fully understand wanting to be jugded with my peers. Which is what i imagine this is more about.

I'm in the same boat as Mangy, or atleast i was until summer opened up for me, and would be offering up my services to the community like Mangy did if i had the time, but even with summer i don't: if i intend to do any level design. The reason why i didn't enter this competition was because i didn't want to start a third project and leave 2 unfinished maps still unfinished, with another unfinished map too. I would love to contribute to the weight of the competition and can fully understand this entry.

andysss456

L2: Junior Member
Sep 28, 2008
Feel free to press it, as I'm full disclosure: Icefield's basic layout and theming were worked on for a period of about 3 weeks and then utterly abandoned as I was not happy with the boring gameplay and uninspired. Then the contest hit, I realized I could adapt the map into something workable that I'd be proud enough to finish, and so I got permission and did the real work on the map- probably 70% of the total product you now see.

I feel by submitting my map early any of that 30% lead will be negated, and as I only have 1-2 hours to map daily due to my full time job, it's all I can muster to finish it.

I also feel that if I were to start from scratch, and work through to the actual deadline, it'd produce a product of at least the same quality.

So then I wonder what's left to be unethical about a map that's had incredible care on my part invested in it, sacrificing the last couple weeks and my weekends to bring it up to releasable stage; I consider it my magnum opus in terms of optimization and detailing, but I'd've produced the same quality had it been a 'fresh' map...

If any of this disatisfies you to the point where you believe you cannot compete with me on equal footing, please inform the moderators who will disqualify me.

In the end I just want to contribute to the weight of this contest, to be able to give and receive feedback with a goal in mind, to be able to share knowledge and tips (who wants my Intel blockage method??) and generally to help make this competition fun and involved. Forgive me my rule bending :crying:

After having read this i am content in not pressing the issue. You seem to be motivated for good reasons and are not trying to do anything malicious. As such I don't have a problem with the map being used. Good luck to you.

Last edited: