arena

Laz

L420: High Member
Jul 5, 2008
found it, set the maxplayers to 24 in my config_arena.cfg (meaning games of 8 vs 8)
removed the hostname thingy so my hostname wont be changed, and commented out the switch to arena mapcycle.

then I just added arena maps into my normal cycle.
Havent had time to test it properly, but it should work :)

Apex_

L3: Member
Jan 23, 2008
Note that Arena mode has its own mapcycle (arena_mapcycle.txt). If you put an arena map in the normal mapcycle, the game switches to using this special mapcycle from then on. I recommend you put one or two normal maps in the arena mapcycle to break it occasionally, or else once you go to an arena map you're stuck in arena mode until you manually change it or someone runs a vote!

Also keep in mind arena mode will automatically change your hostname to "Team Fortress 2 Arena Server" unless you change it yourself. I would imagine putting that in the arena config will work, but I set up a script to do it on map load just in case.

Laz

Jul 5, 2008
Note that Arena mode has its own mapcycle (arena_mapcycle.txt). If you put an arena map in the normal mapcycle, the game switches to using this special mapcycle from then on. I recommend you put one or two normal maps in the arena mapcycle to break it occasionally, or else once you go to an arena map you're stuck in arena mode until you manually change it or someone runs a vote!

Also keep in mind arena mode will automatically change your hostname to "Team Fortress 2 Arena Server" unless you change it yourself. I would imagine putting that in the arena config will work, but I set up a script to do it on map load just in case.

I commented out the other mapcycle and hostname change in the config_arena.cfg file, so my mapcycle will not be broken, and my hostname won't change.

Laz

Jul 5, 2008
Did you buy your server? or did you set it up yourself?

We bought the machine, and just pay the pay the datacenter costs. We set it up ourselves, operating system and all. Our website used to run on the same machine so we would not have to pay another company to host our website. but now it is on another machine(also ours)

Most of our adminteam (not the same as server moderators) are IT professionals so setting up a linux box to run a few gameservers is no biggie to us :) We also created our own website from scratch integrating it with VB.

but we're working on a new website as we speak, cause this one is getting a bit dated, and there are some bugs in there.

ps www.z-spot.be
(shameless plugging!)

The Drizzle

L1: Registered
Dec 19, 2007
How do you get 12v12 matches? Valve mentioned 3v3 or even 12v12 matches. Im not sure how to get the server set correctly so we have 12v12 and no spectators. Any ideas?

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
its generally easier to edit the config arena to use your normal mapcycle

and drizzle...if there is an odd number of people someone will always be sitting out
i haven't got a chance to test this yet, but the max players was set to 16 and i was getting 8 per team and everyone else was sitting out, ive switched that 16 to 24, now, ideally the teams should be able to reach 12 vs 12...but...haven't filled the server completely today, so no confirmation (that number is in the config_arena cfg)

Last edited:

Apex_

Jan 23, 2008
The max size Arena allows is 10v10 with 4 sitting out I believe. On my 20-slot server I can't get it to exceed 7v7.

I'll dig through the internal cvars sometime and see if there's some hidden way to tweak that.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
interesting...if it helps i just scoured my server the other day and didn't find any cfgs or txt files that related to it other then the ones mentioned here

crazychicken

L2: Junior Member
Feb 14, 2008
11v11 is max i think not sure if 12 v12 worked for me.

i want to get it so its 16v16 with no spectators so even odd teams are allowed, its crap having to sit out, should just be last man standing, 3 teams is a moronic idea

Apex_

Jan 23, 2008
11v11 is max i think not sure if 12 v12 worked for me.

i want to get it so its 16v16 with no spectators so even odd teams are allowed, its crap having to sit out, should just be last man standing, 3 teams is a moronic idea

There's a Sourcemod plugin for this now.

crazychicken

L2: Junior Member
Feb 14, 2008
its owrking now, i set max players to 48 in arena cfg so 16 could be on same team