1. Hey Guest, welcome to the new forums. Be sure to check out this thread to get all the information you need on the cool new stuff!
  2. If the download for the map you're looking at isn't here, try checking the archives over at: The Archived Forum

KotH Aquifer

Discussion in 'Map Workshop' started by Crash, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  2. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Thanks Received:
    Updated to B2. Did some drastic things. Screenshots updated in OP.

3. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Thanks Received:
    Here is your demo from today (beginning is probably dead air for maybe ~30 minutes?)

We had some randoms that called it too large (not true in my opinion). They also said it had too many flanks (probably does). As a Heavy I was getting pretty far behind enemy lines, and that little speed bump I told you I hate didn't really stop me. Later today in the impromptu I was doing the same thing as Engineer. I still think you'd benefit from rotating the drop downs and stairs 90 degrees, because then players would be directed toward combat areas rather than staging areas. Another problem with your map, I feel, is how cluttered the area immediately around the point is. You've got the pillars above and below, the shipping containers, little waist high fences on the high ground spots (which are largely useless as high ground goes) and they all get in the way or feel semi-random. I was really hoping for a better redesign after the contest ended, and this comes close but it still has all the same basic issues the last one did.

Crash thanked this.
  4. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Thanks Received:
    Updated to B3. Screenshots in OP updated. This should be the final layout, just polish work from here on out.

Bonus screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tasse thanked this.
  5. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Thanks Received:
    Man, I sure haven't gotten much feedback during the course of this contest...

6. Trotim

aa Trotim

Thanks Received:
    It's too late now anyway isn't it

7. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Thanks Received:
    Yep. I was just mentioning it as a summation of the contest.

Although I am working on the map right now, so really if there is anything not too drastic, I could work on it.

8. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Thanks Received:
    Updated to B5. All new screen's in OP.

9. JeanPaul

JeanPaul L3: Member

Thanks Received:
    I love your concept for the point having a watertower over it and incorporating its shape into the layout. But, I feel you can do a lot better with the way it looks. Try using some interesting references

Hell, you could use the torus tool to recreate that third image in my link exactly. Also, disable shadows on the pipes seen on the water tower supports so the brushwork's face doesnt turn black below the pipes.

Crash thanked this.
  10. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Thanks Received:
    After the contest is over, I will probably be getting a custom model created for the center. I've already been approached by someone who was interested in doing it, and we discussed a few ideas. Good references though, I'll definitely use them.

As for the pipes, I compiled with using staticproppolys so they shouldn't be pitch black. It's probably more from the lack of lighting directly on it. I was thinking the point could have used some spotlights directly on it to make it pop out more, that might have helped.

Then again, it might look better with them off all together. Something to experiment with.

11. stevethepocket

aa stevethepocket I can fix it!

Thanks Received:
    The problem is, the pipe models have phong shading, and the Source engine can't render vertex lighting and phong shading on the same prop so it disables the former. It's unfortunate, because pipes are one of the most common props to have shadows conspicuously overlapping. I'm not seeing the issue JeanPaul is reporting in any of the screenshots, but you might be able to fix it by tossing in an info_lighting and tying the offending pipes to it.

EArkham and Crash thanked this.
  12. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Thanks Received: