72hr competition #3/Ironmapper comp - Charity?

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
This all sounds very cool, except it's probably exceeding the scope of a 72 hour event. Involving Valve and charities and the community and flying people around is cool, except ending with a bunch of half-baked maps made in 3 days is pretty anti-climactic.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Do you expect other short stuff like the current mojam to produce a killer game? Or just something that was fun to produce?

There's no reason to stop working on the maps after the time is up.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
72 hour game jams are different though. With a small team working with simple mechanics, by the end of it you'll have something that shows off the core of the game, and the lack of content isn't important. Mapping on the other hand is almost purely content creation, and the product of 72 hours is significantly less exciting than the product of a month or two.

I'm just saying there might need to be a different twist to a mapping event like this to make it worthwhile.

C00Kies

L3: Member
Sep 20, 2009
Perhaps an idea of combing the "seasoned veterans group" and the rest of the community is perhaps:

#1. Get a group [maybe 2 going head to head] of the voted/best (whatever) community mappers and possibly add a valve member or 2 to make a solid Dev map in a designated time (ex72hr) and be streamed. Then release it to the community to detail; like the art-pass. This would allow the rest of the community to contribute as well because the top mappers did their part in making the map and the "less seasoned" members can step up.

Like the previous arguments said, maybe 72 hrs. isn't enough to make a solid map but it could be just for fun. Or i could be brought out to a longer time if needed but I like the idea of a brief weekend of mapping. Plus with the main focus being just a Dev map - rather then detailing as well - will create a better map.

#2. Make a few groups with 1 Veteran and 1 less experienced mapper to work 72 hrs. to get a solid dev map out. This way the 2 mappers learn from each each other. Then spend a week and a half testing the maps and the top 4 (+or-) groups go head to head improving/art-passing their map in a another 72hr period in which case there will be a winner. This would probably be really tricky especial for streaming and would take a lot of time but it may work out.
-Possible schedule: Fri-Sun First round, M T W Th F Sat Sun M T W (10 days) for testing, Thur for figuring out the finalists, then that Fri-Sun would be the "Finals"
again REALLY tricky and time consuming especial with the time differences.

As far as charity, maybe valve can add a misc item that can be bought in TF2 and all the money will go to charity as well as the winning map's postcard. They did it before for the Japan relief. This item can be bought only during the mapping period. Maybe valve will be willing to toss in some of there "goodies" as well to give away; maybe even a(some) DOTA2 Key(s)...

Just a thought
(this is probably getting alot more complicated the what was first though of xD)

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Well, I don't want to rush into this since we do have the payload contest going on, and we did just get the medal, so (as I said earlier) discuss some more options and maybe in a month or so I'll ask valve what they and what they would be willing to do.

Honestly, there is no precedence to something like this, so we have nothing to say "well, these guys asked this and they said no."

EDIT: what about bringing in other communities?

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Communities such as?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Involving communities like PS or 2f2f is all well and good, but i thought we were trying to reach people who don't know of us?

Perhaps we could go beyond just making a map.

Perhaps we could have several stages that can involve more than mapping. Like, we have a mapping contest, then we get a comp league to play it or something and get it commentated by some (in)famous comp TF2 commentators. The people who don't know us are people who don't map or follow the mapping scene.

That way we reach:
Mappers.
TF2 players.
youtube commentators and their audiences.
TF2 Blogs.

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I'd definitely be up for participating in some sort of charity event, if we end up doing something that involves the whole community.

I think we should take care with considering which charity we give the donations to. I'm not saying anything bad about Child's Play (which always seems to be the charity gamers immediately go to), I'm just saying I think there's a lot of causes out there that are much more important than giving toys to sick children, however nice that may be (and there's of course never anything bad about that). But I guess it also depends on how much money we think we can collect.

I dunno, just something to consider.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Collaborations don't work well, at least in the community - not sure about how Valve do it.

Why not just have a 72hr mapping competition, with one or two Valve mappers, and open for anyone to join? Then we could do what grazr suggested (and I really like that idea btw) and have the comp community play the map (or better yet - a 6v9 thing like what happened a while ago) and some commentators commentate.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Collaborations don't work well, at least in the community - not sure about how Valve do it.

Why not just have a 72hr mapping competition, with one or two Valve mappers, and open for anyone to join? Then we could do what grazr suggested (and I really like that idea btw) and have the comp community play the map (or better yet - a 6v9 thing like what happened a while ago) and some commentators commentate.

it's like every community event rolled in to one.

Terwonick

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 25, 2010
Which map? If we get a 72hr contest set up, and valve mappers enter, there could potentially 100+ entrants. The voting would be ridiculous.

But I'm game.

Valve has their own servers, right? so why not just have them put one or two on a custom rotation of all those maps, allowing people to suggest their favorites as the next map. Then keep track of how many times each map is played on those servers (and possibly other servers for other communities, as well as our own), and the top IDK, 15 maps get to move on to the next round of voting, which is direct voting for the top 3 or something like that. What do you think?